Tuesday 28 September 2010

Newspaper Front Page




This is my final 'Newspaper Front Cover' piece, which was created in InDesign.

What I had to do was create an article from one of my 'Animal Faces' pictures, and then from that construct a newspaper front cover - adding contents from other newspapers to make it appear more realistic.

I did this by firstly opening a blank A3 document and then onto the blank A3 document I used the ‘Rectangle Frame’ tool and ‘Guild Lines’ option for laying out and positioning each part of the front page how I wanted it. Then the fist thing I placed was the ‘Sun’ masthead by using the ‘Place…’ option and then selected the picture I got from Google, and then I used the ‘Free Transform’ tool to adjust it to the size I wanted and moved it to where I wanted it – I also right-clicked the masthead and selected ‘Display Performance’ and then ‘High Quality’ to make the image more in focus. Once I added a masthead I added a dateline, which I got off a ‘Sun’ newspaper off Google, and again I used the ‘Place…’ option but then the ‘Crop’ tool so only the dateline was visible, then I moved it under the masthead and used the ‘Free Transform’ tool to make it the size I wanted it – also I adjusted the quality by using the same method as before. After that I uploaded the picture I wanted to use as the main article by again using the ‘Place…’ option, selecting the picture from ‘My Documents’, and using the ‘Free Transform’ tool to adjust the size and then just placed it where I wanted it – and again changed the quality to ‘High Quality’ the same way as previous. Then I added my headline by using the ‘Type’ tool to add a text box, where I typed in my headline, and then I decided to adjust the text font (and changed it to Arial), adjust the text size (by clicking on the ‘Font Size’ option and making the ‘pt’ higher), and adjusting the height (by elongating the text by clicking on the ‘Vertical Scale’ option and putting the percentage higher) and the length (by spreading the letters by clicking on the ‘Horizontal Scale’ option and putting the percentage higher). Once I added the headline I added the article that goes with it, which I done using the same process that I used for the headline (bar the ‘vertical’ and ‘Horizontal’ tools, and also I changed some of the text from ‘Regular’ to ‘Bold’ by using the drop-down option). However, as there was a lot of text, some of it over-flowed; I fixed this by creating two more text boxes and clicking on the 'Hidden Text' icon (which is the little red box with a cross inside placed at the bottom right-hand size of the previous text box which had overflowed) and then clicking on the first empty text box, and then the same thing for the second text box – until there was no more over-flowing text. Furthermore, I added who it was reported by (me) and changed the text from ‘Regular’ to ‘Italic’. After that I added some advertisements in – to give the newspaper front cover a more realising look and to fill up the blank spaces – which I done by getting some off other ‘Sun’ newspapers off Google and doing the same process as the dateline (look above for details). And finally, once I was satisfied with my outcome, I saved it as an INDD file and also as a JPEG file.

After a lot of tinkering, i was pleased with my final outcome. I was pleased with was how the article looked, it looked professional and laid out in the style of a real article, also i was pleased with the general layout, it looked more or less like an actual Newspaper front cover in the set up of each part. The one thing in particular i was conscious of was the Masthead of the article, I'm not sure it it stands out as well as it could from the picture.

The only real technical difficulties i had were with the piece were the Masthead of the article; it blended into the picture a little too much for my liking, but unfortunately i did not know how to solve this predicament - something i will need to look into for future reference.

2 comments:

  1. when i first saw it i thought it was real great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yer i though this was real what did u use to make this?

    ReplyDelete